Attractively lively and animated, bubbling with enthusiasm and exuberance which flow effortlessly from an endless natural spring within the heart of the vivacious person, this is vivacità.

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Day Two: Hey, This Isn't a 'Diet'

"I'm getting antsy. I feel deprived. I want munchies, sweets, chips. What's happening to me? It's only the first evening. I'm doomed." So said I to Tom last night before realizing that, in my mind with all its memory-routing and such, I was 'dieting.' For someone like me who's been on way too many weight-loss diets in her life, this was panic mode.

Restriction and its feelings of powerlessness and deprivation kill most weight-loss diet attempts because a person feels suffocated by whatever the restrictions present, whether it's caloric reduction, food-type reduction, or any number of restraints we put upon ourselves for 'the cause'.

After my fearful declaration, rationality returned. I'm not restricted by the amount of food I am allowed to consume. "This isn't a diet in that sense." That fact settles me down. The only restriction is that food not be processed beyond what could be done in a household kitchen. "I can eat as much as I want of any real food. There are a gazillion choices!"

First discovery for today, my favorite farm-wife cupcake recipe - from two generations ago - can be made with no exceptions except for raw sugar replacing granulated. I made a batch and they taste virtually the same! Moist and chocolatey they require no frosting. Hit the spot!

Second exciting find is how the family and I hit roadblocks, became momentarily stunned, then found a way over most of them. For example, Cassie usually preps the meat for tacos, which we made today for lunch. She's like a crazy chef hunched over the meat, shaking bottles of spices into the skillet, stirring and shaking, powders puffing into the air. Her taco meat is always delicious. Today, she hit a few roadblocks. Some of those spices are no-no's. She'd stop, stunned, as a problem arose. Then, she'd explore options. She discovered that, while prepping taco meat with bottled seasonings is faster, stirring together sensational taco meat with unprocessed fresh or home-dried herbs is easy and do-able.

Same with refried beans. Tom holding can: "We can't use these." Solution, canned whole beans, though it took some elbow-deep pantry-diving to find a can that was only beans, nothing added. (Note to self: plan to soak and cook beans for next time.) One roadblock we couldn't jump today was hot sauce. It has one questionable ingredient. In our quest for purity we abstained, determined to find or create a recipe of our own. Later. Thankfully, Cassie's meat was spicy. We ate like Mexican Royalty.

Third satisfying realization is that my herb garden, close at hand, holds far more value than even I have understood. Replacing customary processed 'flavors' with herbs goes beyond substitution into enhancement and contentment. Cassie and I found ourselves putting all our knowledge and experience to the test as we threw pinches and handfuls of various herbs into our concoctions. More than usual because we have to cook differently. How satisfying to create an entire new taste experience off the cuff!

Lastly, I am concerned with how much time I am required to spend in the kitchen. Here, though, once I get the hang of using different ingredients I think I can cut the time back to where it normally is when making a 'from scratch' meal. My brain will make new pathways and I'll be cooking by instinct again, with unprocessed ingredients. I think. Time will tell. For now, I am incorporating more help from the family.

You should have seen the four of us today, working different stations. Like a well-oiled machine. I was making masa tortillas while Tom shredded cheese and chopped veggies. Cassie worked her magic on the meat, picking Hawaiian chili peppers from our indoor plant, chopping garlic, crushing coriander in the mortar and pestle, selecting spices that were pure, and finding new ingredients to add texture and taste. Joe set the table and played the role of sous chef to all four of us. A smile erupts on my face as I remember the moments.

Yes, Day Two has been a success. I've followed the rules. I'm not hungry. I haven't overeaten. I don't feel deprived. I'm looking forward to tomorrow, even as I enjoy the rest of this perfect, quiet Sunday. Tonight we'll eat the last of the green beans from the garden, along with yogurt and fruit.

Sounds divine.


No comments: