Attractively lively and animated, bubbling with enthusiasm and exuberance which flow effortlessly from an endless natural spring within the heart of the vivacious person, this is vivacità.

Monday, October 10, 2011

Day Ten - Illuminating Meatballs

Last evening Tom, Cassie, Caroline, and I went to Dinner and a Play at our favorite local college.

This morning I find myself pleased with - as well as illuminated by - the choices I made last night. The dinner turned out to be a very simple buffet, the food wholesome. (We knew going in that this is not a rubbery hot dog and cheap chips sort of crowd. That played in our favor.) The dishes served were undressed green salad, dressing on the side, plain sliced grilled yams, meatballs in a very light, chunky tomato sauce, and biscuits.

"I can eat this!" I was very proud of our favorite college. While I could have stayed completely 'pure' by eating only the greens and yams, I chose to take two meatballs, too. I was hungry. I did pause in conscious decision-making before tonging the meatballs onto my plate. They looked like something I could make in my kitchen, and very well might make, even in this unprocessed month of October.

The meatballs probably had processed salt and other seasonings. The tomatoes were canned but might have been okay. (I'm going to look into the ingredients in canned tomatoes. Thank you October Unprocessed for bringing this to my attention!) Other than that, it seemed they were made only of meat and onions. They were rather tough, so seemed void of bread crumbs, crackers, or other fillers that would have tenderized them. I decided it was okay to eat them, and did, without guilt or any sense of regret.

A Biblical passage comes to mind. Mark 2:27. After his disciples picked grains of wheat on the Sabbath, Jesus replied to his finger-pointing accusers, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath." For me it's, 'October Unprocessed is meant for Cherie, not Cherie for October Unprocessed.' By this I mean that my goal in taking the challenge is to learn about the foods surrounding me, not only in my own kitchen, but in outside eating situations, as well as my response to the food. To become educated as to what I'm putting into my mouth, to learn to choose wisely. The Challenge is for my education and betterment, not an endeavor meant to restrict me for restriction's sake.

In that pause before reaching for the meatballs, a junction appeared in my path, the choices being to either remain completely pure, no question as to what I've eaten, or to trust the trustworthy, give an unknown entree a chance, then make the right decision for me. Suddenly, the challenge became more about thoughtfulness than purity for purity's sake. It was a choice between legalism and freedom. Not freedom to be stupid, or to give in, or to hurt myself, or to break my commitment to the challenge. No, freedom to explore a question: am I compelled to be legalistic about my eating, or, when away from home, will I allow myself the freedom to mindfully choose a food that may not meet my personal requirements, but comes very very close?

I'm excited because I had that debate in my mind. A debate fueled by budding knowledge, curiosity, and concern for my health. A huge step for me, one the Challenge has provided. Rather than mindless eating, my eating last night was extremely mindful. A cause for celebration!

It's taken only ten days to become convinced of the fact that it's reasonably impossible to never eat another processed food as long as I live, at least insofar as I want to mingle with other humans and have an enjoyable life. Meals are a main source of fellowship, after all. I must be realistic. Grateful am I to have faced last evening's challenge, for it revealed to me a quiet, rational flexibility as well as the strength to dine with others without offending them, while at the same time feeding my body nutritious, life-affirming food. I did not draw attention to myself. If I'd thought beforehand that the dinner would be an assault on my determination concerning the Challenge, I would have eaten first and perhaps arrived only for the play. But I had confidence in my favorite college. They didn't let me down.

The play was fantastic, by the way! I highly recommend it. There are a few more showings later this week and weekend.

An illuminating evening in more ways than one!

4 comments:

Marianne Elixir said...

Lovely reflections, and I am so jealous that you got to enjoy the play! We so wanted to make a trip down work this month, but alas.

Cherie said...

Yes, alas.....it would have been fun to sit with you and watch your belly-baby roll and thump. Oh, and, you would have loved the play, too. ;)

deanna said...

I'm hoping to maybe see the play on Friday. Busy week ahead, but maybe...

Cherie, your musings about food are so relevant to my spiritual life this year. There is a wholeness I'm experiencing that has as one aspect choosing to fast from certain foods on certain days for the sake of my life journey. I'm not speaking for anyone but me, but what you said is almost word for word what I've found, partaking of the ancient church's fasting tradition. James and I were discussing this the other day, how an analogy exists between eating whole foods and practicing (what I call) whole spirituality. The fasting is for the person, not the person for the fast, and so many (everything else, I would say) ancient church practices are like this, too.

Forgive me if that sounds in any way prickly; it's not meant to. I just love what I'm doing as much as it sounds like you love what you're doing.

And tomorrow, at our home, I hope there will be a good experience, both gastronomical and spiritual. I'm looking forward to seeing you!

Cherie said...

And I am so looking forward to seeing you, too, Deanna! Thank you for sharing your thoughts about my post. Life is truly interesting - the connections we people have without really knowing it. Amazing!