Attractively lively and animated, bubbling with enthusiasm and exuberance which flow effortlessly from an endless natural spring within the heart of the vivacious person, this is vivacità.

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Day Twenty - Simple, Rustic, Better

An easy day with no-nonsense food arrived just in time.

After the hectic week recently endured, the thought of thinking about meals seemed like an Everest-like undertaking. With laundry to do, a dog to walk, school to teach, and bills to pay, the idea of spending time in the kitchen felt ridiculous.

"Sometimes I just need to make eggs.''

I am not good at cooking eggs. These got away from me. But they tasted mighty fine this morning.

Later, soup prep was a breeze. Leeks, red potatoes, garlic, white wine, salt, pepper. Creamy and flavorful it tasted like something found in a gourmet restaurant. Yet it was plain and simple. My pantry is a bit short of supplies. No onions. No broth. So, I used the last cup in a leftover bottle of wine. It boosted the flavor above and beyond any shortcomings.

Creamy Leek Potato Soup

A few heirloom carrots for crunch, color, and nutrition.

Some local kids grow these and sell them at the orchard market, to earn money.

Wash it all down with a pint of fresh-pressed cider from the orchard. Another farm-fresh meal interrupts hunger pangs.


I neglected to photograph the biscuits and honey.

"I think poor people from a hundred-fifty years ago sat on a mighty good secret," I said at dinner.

Cassie completed my thought with, "Yeah. The simple food. Inexpensive, tasty, and quick. It's just better."

Simple rustic food satisfies like no other, especially when the mind and body have been through the wringer.

No comments: