Attractively lively and animated, bubbling with enthusiasm and exuberance which flow effortlessly from an endless natural spring within the heart of the vivacious person, this is vivacità.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Day Five - Poultry Panic

With four days under my belt there is a certain growing confidence. Patience, too.

Last night for supper I wanted a turkey sandwich, something I adore. My mouth began to salivate at the thought. Turkey leftovers from Thanksgivings past came to mind. The soft bread, the mayo, the heaps of meat.

Then, I remembered, there's no unprocessed mayo in the house and store-bought isn't an option. Mayonnaise on a turkey sandwich is a must for me. I simply must have it, that's how I make them. Always. Cassie, Caroline, and I planned to make home-made mayonnaise - but, alas, we forgot! And Cassie, the only one of us who's made the stuff, was at work for several hours more.

Salivation grew stronger. Eyes widened. Breathing quickened. Deprivation! The dieter's nemesis.

I want a turkey sandwich!! NOW!!
But I wanted to victoriously complete the October Challenge more.


The angel/devil on the shoulders conversation in my head went something like this:

"This is not a problem, it's an opportunity."

"No, it's NO TURKEY SANDWICH." Jaw clenches. Then, in supposed defeat, shoulders slump. Lower lip trembles.

"Shush. You're overreacting. Sheesh. There must be another way to have that sandwich and be satisfied."

Thinking. Thinking.

"AHA! Pesto! There are those frozen pesto cubes you made last month from the basil and walnuts. Tom's Dubliner cheese qualifies, to add to the pesto. Yes."

"You know, that actually sounds better than mayo. Let's go!"

I lightly toasted the bread, spread on pesto, layered turkey, a tomato, and a few crisp lettuce leaves I'd braved the rain to pick from the garden. Sitting at the table, napkin in my lap, half an apple next to the sandwich, and glass of milk nearby, I bowed my head to whisper a grace that has never been more sincere.

With great contentment I dined.

THE TURKEY SANDWICH WAS SO GOOD!

Lesson for today: Don't panic. Use your mind. Think outside of your own little eating-experience box. Alternatives may delight you!

No comments: