Attractively lively and animated, bubbling with enthusiasm and exuberance which flow effortlessly from an endless natural spring within the heart of the vivacious person, this is vivacità.

Monday, October 24, 2011

Day Twenty-Four: Mojito Chicken

After most of the slumber party girls went home yesterday afternoon, and before church, my family, our friend Kimi, and I ate:

Mojito Chicken

Mashed Organic Russet Potatoes

Baby Green Salad with Pomegranate and Sprouted Sunflower Seeds and Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette

I just sort of let myself go into a cooking trance when preparing the chicken. Using what I had on hand I began with a long drizzle of thick, brown balsamic vinegar into the bottom of a 9x13 pan. To that I added another long drizzle of olive oil, a spoonful of raw sugar, several minced garlic cloves, salt, pepper, and water to fill the pan about a third full. As I stirred vigorously with a fork I wondered what else I could use to boost the flavor since my normal route was either off-limits or out of stock.

Mint! The mint in my garden is still perky so I went out and plucked several coarse, bright green leaves. As I tore them up and added them I realized the brew was mojito-ish. Not having any limes but in possession of a Meyer Lemon, I cut it up and squeezed the juice from half of it.

Now we're talking!

I cut boneless-skinless chicken breasts and thighs into smaller pieces and placed them into the marinade, letting them sit there while I cleaned my work space. Then, I flipped them over, covered the pan in foil, and placed it into a 400 degree oven for 45 minutes.

Moist and very tasty.

The mashed potatoes were ordinary creamy, buttery deliciousness.

The salad was just plain fun. Learning they make excellent salad companions, I'd sprouted sunflower seeds earlier in the weekend. Never done that before. Adding a crunchy, flavorful texture to our greens, they were most welcome. (I particularly enjoyed watching my fellow diners approach the sprouted sunnies with curiosity, timidly pinch a few with their fingers, thoughtfully crunch them, then heartily go in for more.) A few leftover pomegranate seeds added juicy color to our increasingly unique salad. Using the other half of the Meyer Lemon, Cassie made a savory vinaigrette.

What a fun meal! And filling. And easy.

Definitely getting the hang of this.

(I didn't take any pictures. You'll have to use your imagination. Go on, it's good for your brain!)

No comments: