Attractively lively and animated, bubbling with enthusiasm and exuberance which flow effortlessly from an endless natural spring within the heart of the vivacious person, this is vivacità.

Thursday, March 4, 2010

All Intents and Purposes

I love everything about food. Real food. Food from the earth, gathered and prepared with passion, shared with loved ones or savored alone. Better with people, though, because of the shared excitement, the mutual moans of delight, the words of description, and expressions of wonder.

I'm not entirely certain how it is that I have become the cook/baker that I am given my childhood experiences. Mom liked the 50's convenience foods. I didn't encounter real spaghetti with fresh marinara sauce until I made it myself when in my 20's. Mom's version of spaghetti was Franco-American from a can. Chinese food was Chung-King from a can and I hated it. I made myself a peanut butter sandwich on Chinese night. French fries were frozen, chicken always fried, pork chops were leather, and vegetables were canned or frozen and cooked to mush. When Mom began to garden after I left home, still the veggies were cooked to mush. Freshly harvested from the garden then cooked till all that was left was the pulp. Dad made her mad when he suggested she cook her vegetables they way I do.

So, how did I wander from Cool-Whip to fresh whipping cream, from canned pumpkin pies to pies made from fresh grown pumpkin roasted in my oven, from cheap meats to grass-fed, from Oscar Meyer lunchmeat sandwiches to marinated mojito chicken on crusty grilled bread, from stale herbs in a jar to growing my own, from fast food to well, nausea at the thought of fast food?

I don't know. It was such a slow journey.

But I suspect it began with my hearing loss. Our bodies being the amazing things they are compensate for deficiencies by ramping up somewhere else. Born with a moderate loss seems to have enhanced my palate. Much pleasure is to be had from energetic taste buds, and much pain, too, when they encounter frown-inducing food-like substances set on a dinner plate.

My taste buds saved me. They shouted at me that, 'There must be a better way! Find it! We're dyin' down here!"

So, I found it. My sense of smell - equally enhanced - led the charge and worked hand in hand with my tongue. I took Home Ec. in school where I learned some techniques, but again, the courses were pretty deficient. Tenacious me found recipes and articles in Mom's Ladies' Home Journal and McCall magazines. Not great, but a place to start. Then I discovered Julia Child and her enthusiasm went a long way. PBS had some excellent cooking shows in addition to good old Julia.

Eventually, Tom and I summoned our courage and began frequenting good restaurants in order to broaden our experiences. We have never looked back. The world of real food with its glorious tastes, textures, scents, colors, and robustness - gorgeously presented - opened up for me. Soon I was shopping in better grocery stores and creating dishes out of my own imagination and wowing my family.

And wowing the family was extremely satisfying because not only were they being nourished they were happy, eager, and connected. We all were.

I'm pretty pleased with the fact that I halted Mom's less-than-stellar cooking legacy in one generation. Nipped it in the bud. All four of my kids have refined palates which crave food as it was meant to be. That's my legacy.

It's a valuable one.

Together my family and I continue to learn from one another, to brave new cuisines, techniques, crossing barriers into the unknown, and enjoying the passion together.

Mangi!

6 comments:

Tom said...

I like the new blog, I can almost smell the food.

tshsmom said...

LOL, a lot of similarities here!
I got my start watching The Galloping Gourmet. Graham Kerr made me realize there were flavorful alternatives out there.

My Mom cooked most things from scratch, with the exception of Minute Rice. Why they are allowed to call that flavorless crap, rice, is beyond me! Imagine my delight at discovering brown rice as a newlywed!

My Mom hates onions, garlic, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, mayo, and just about anything else that has a flavor. Dad hates oregano and melted cheese, so Italian foods were a no-no. Neither of them likes anything that is in the least bit "spicy". Needless to say, our meals were repetitive and bland.

I make monthly menus, and don't have the same meal twice in the same month. I love finding new, flavorful recipes to add to my repertoire.

Cherie said...

Yeah, the Galloping Gourmet! I'd forgotten about him. He was fun!

Minute Rice - ugh - my Mom and siblings all consider it rice. When they say they made rice, that's what they mean. They HATE brown rice - they ask with disgust, "What is this!?" My family and I here all love it! It's what we mean when WE say we make rice.

I should do the menu thing again. I used to. Got lazy, I guess. It helps with the budget, with time usage, and with variety in meals. You've inspired me, Tshs! Thanks!

tshsmom said...

Those are the 3 reasons I do the menu thing. It takes less than half an hour, once a month. Sometimes I'm really on a roll and I make 6 weeks worth of menus.

I always check my menu before I go grocery shopping to make sure I have all the ingredients.

Cherie said...

Again, you inspire!

tshsmom said...

Now I need to inspire MYSELF. I ran out of menus a week ago. Dinners have been rather haphazard this week. :(