Attractively lively and animated, bubbling with enthusiasm and exuberance which flow effortlessly from an endless natural spring within the heart of the vivacious person, this is vivacità.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Pecan-Almond Biscotti

Hibernation consumes January for me. Every year. The weather presses itself down on me like a heavy quilt and I slow to a sloth's pace.

But February brings subtle changes like longer days, a bit of blue sky, sunshine on my face for a moment or two. A mental thawing. Energy begins to buzz in my spirit.

I begin to want to cook.

This fact thrills my family. Cookbooks come out, glossy photos of foods never tried inspire, delight, and prompt.

Today there was enough buzzed-up energy for actual creation.

It started with a batch of yogurt, and a kettle of applesauce, then slid over to a modified Shepherd's Pie sided with Maple Nutmeg Acorn/Butternut Squash Puree. Full Steam Ahead! Perusing the books led to a menu on our refrigerator that sports things like homemade Hummus, and Spinach Dip, Basil Orzo and Shallots, Navy Bean Soup, Zucchini Chicken Kabobs, Polenta Crostini. Nothing fancy, nothing big. Just happy flavors.

Impatient to get started, this evening I stirred, rolled, sliced, and baked Pecan-Almond Biscotti. These cookies are easier to make than one might imagine, offering heavenly aroma during the entire process, plus they make an impressive dessert or snack. One daughter wants to dip the tips of some of them in melted chocolate. We'll do that tomorrow. Other daughter plans a hot cocoa and biscotti reward for the end of her busy day. Coffee tantalizes husband. I look forward to dipping my Italian cookie in chai tea.

Biscotti. Versatile, crunchy, flavorful, long-lasting (they actually get better after a few days) and, because of their hard texture, enjoyment lingers. Crunch. Crunch. Dip. Crunch.

Italian music plays between my ears tonight!

No comments: